ELECTIONS AND VOTER REGISTRATION
2015 MUNICIPAL ELECTIONS
General Municipal Elections for City Council are held on the first Tuesday in November of each odd numbered year with two council seats up at each election. Council Members are elected for four-year terms and the Mayor is elected at large for a four-year term
The following positions are to be voted upon in the Cottonwood Heights 2015 Municipal Election:
District 1 Council Member 4-year term
District 2 Council Member 4-year term
2015 Election Dates:
Primary Election: Tuesday, August 11, 2015
General Election: Tuesday, November 3, 2015
CANDIDATE FILING PERIOD
The candidate filing period begins Monday, June 1, 2015 and ends Monday, June 8, 2015, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Declaration of Candidacy must be filed in person with the City Recorder at the Cottonwood Heights City Office located at 1265 East Fort Union Boulevard, Suite 250, Cottonwood Heights. A non-refundable filing fee of $25 is required at the time of declaration. The qualifications to be a candidate are:
· Be at least 18 years old at the time of the next municipal election.
· Be a registered voter of the municipality.
· Be a resident of the municipality or a resident of a recent annexation for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the date of the election.
· If elected from a council district the person must be a resident of that district. .
· In accordance with Utah Constitution Article IV, Section 6, any mentally incompetent person, any person convicted of a felony, or any person convicted of treason or a crime against the elective franchise may not hold office in this state until the right to hold elective office is restored under Section 20A-2-101.5.
If more than two candidates file for each position, a primary election will be held Tuesday, August 11, 2015. The general election will be held Tuesday, November 3, 2015. For additional information please contact the City Recorder’s Office at (801)944-7020 or firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours.
VOTE BY MAIL ELECTION FOR 2015
The City’s first vote by mail election process was conducted during the 2013 Municipal Elections with a voter turnout of 40.61%, doubling the number of voters from previous elections. Given that success rate Cottonwood Heights will again conduct a vote by mail election process for the 2015 Municipal Elections.
Ballots will be mailed:
· Primary Election: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 (if necessary)
· General Election: Tuesday, October 6, 2015
All voter registration is handled by Salt Lake County. For information contact the Salt Lake County Clerk’s Office.
Salt Lake County Clerk’s Office
2001 South State Street, S1-200
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114
By visiting the Salt Lake County Clerk’s Office website you can:
· Register to vote (a current Utah Driver’s License or ID card is needed)
· Verify if you are registered to vote
· View your sample ballot
· Find your precinct and polling location
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AND TERMS
Mayor Kelvyn Cullimore, Jr. 2014 to 2017
District 1 Council Member Michael Shelton 2012 to 2015
District 2 Council Member Scott Bracken 2012 to 2015
District 3 Council Member Mike Peterson 2014 to 2017
District 4 Council Member Tee Tyler 2014 to 2017
2013 ELECTION RESULTS
2013 Official General Election Results
2013 City Election Canvass Statistics
2013 Official Primary Election Results
Cottonwood Heights contracts with Salt Lake County for all election services.
Review the Salt Lake County Clerk's website.