The city of Cottonwood Heights always takes applications for crossing guards. If you are interested in working as a crossing guard, please fill out the employment application and submit it. It will be kept on file until a position opens up.
Under the supervision of the Crossing Guard Coordinator; guards school crossings during hours when children are going to or coming from school.
No supervision exercised.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Maintains a sense of responsibility for the safety of students and others utilizing the assigned crossing.
• Directs actions of children and traffic at street intersections and cross walks to ensure safe crossing.
• Escorts children across street.
• Unlocks and activates visual school crossing warning devices.
• Place traffic cones at designated points before going on duty and remove signs at end of shift.
• Communicates professional and effectively with students, parents and others.
• Communicates concerns about developing safety hazards to supervisor.
Job Related Qualifications:
• Must be 21 years of age.
• Must have correctable eyesight of at least 20/40 in both eyes.
• Field of Vision of 70° in the horizontal meridian in each eye.
• Good visual depth perception.
• The ability to recognize the colors of traffic signals and devices showing standard red, green, and amber NOTE: Individuals determined to be color blind will be restricted to crossing intersections without traffic lights.
• Does not have an average hearing loss in the better ear greater than 40 decibels at 500 Hz, 1,000 Hz, and 2,000 Hz with yr without a hearing aid.
• Must be available during school hours.
Work performed during all types of weather conditions. Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently. Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work. Requires walking or standing to a significant degree.