July 2017

July 2017

Question:

What Butlerville resident was the second Bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints Granite Ward which was created July 1, 1877?

 

ANSWER

Alva Butler was born January 13, 1845, in Winchester, Randolph, Indiana. He came to Utah circa 1858 with his father and siblings.  They settled in South Cottonwood. Circa 1876, Alva Butler and his family moved to the area that was known as Butlerville.  On March 16, 1887 he was sustained as Bishop of the Granite Ward, which included the communities of Butlerville and Granite. In January of 1879, Alva Butler bought half interest in Mill B from Archibald Garner and ran the Mill with David Brinton and his brother, Neri, until 1894.  Alva Butler was also a farmer.  In 1900, he with several others in the Danish Town area incorporated the Big Willow Irrigation Company and he served as the first president. On March 12, 1901, the Butler Ward was created and he was sustained as Bishop. He served the community in that capacity until his death on May 11, 1909.